Well here are 6 changes to the iOS that will make a difference!
- New Maps! Apple has cut ties with Google in a lot of ways, which is sad since they used to play so nicely together, but for a variety of reasons Apple opted to go with their "own" map app. Technically, they bought it from TomTom and it has some distinct improvements. Turn by Turn voice navigation on all iPhones, doesn't matter which carrier, you've got it. For those on a throttled data plan this may be an issue since both the maps and voice are handled via your data network. Favorite improvement - Faster Mapping
- No YouTube - The quaint and quirky retro TV is gone. YouTube as an Apple distributed App is no longer available. Never fear, YouTube released an iPhone App even before the update. This seems to fall along with the rift between Apple and Google, but the new improved Google distributed App is still free and has better integration with my Google Account. There are more sharing and favoriting options that integrate with my Google Account. Favorite improvement - Love the YouTube Icon
[caption id="attachment_1475" align="aligncenter" width="150" caption="Old YouTube icon"][/caption]
[caption id="attachment_1476" align="aligncenter" width="150" caption="New YouTube icon"][/caption]
- FaceBook Integration - While separating itself from Google, Apple has been cozying up to the two biggest Social Media Networks. Twitter and Facebook are even more fully integrated. You can now sign into Facebook in the Settings area just like Twitter. You can share more easily from all kinds of places to Facebook. Photos are also more easily uploaded and tagged Favorite Improvement - Contact Integration
- Notification Center - The notification pull down now has a couple of new features: Tap to Tweet and Tap to Post. 'Nuff said
[caption id="attachment_1478" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Notifications iOS 6"][/caption]
- Brand New Share Menu - It's Prettier and therefore easier. You can actually see exactly what you are choosing to share too. On a related note there are new privacy settings in Settings and when you tap and hold in Mail you have options to insert a photo/video. All related to better sharing with more control over privacy!
[caption id="attachment_1479" align="aligncenter" width="150" caption="Share Menu"][/caption]
[caption id="attachment_1481" align="aligncenter" width="150" caption="Insert Photo or Video"][/caption]
- Brand New Emojii - Granted this is a silly one, but there are now new emoji icons you can use in messaging, mail and all over the place. Sometimes these don't translate when you text other phones but they can still be pretty cool. You can turn on emoji in the Settings area. This is also where you can turn on alternate language Keyboards as well.
[caption id="attachment_1482" align="aligncenter" width="200" caption="Keyboard Options in Settings, General, Keyboard"][/caption]