Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Social Networking, Social Learning and ......Social Teaching!

I bumped into Erika's Blog via a tweet from @shareski.

I found it pretty interesting and it prompted me to think a little about something I hadn't really thought about before.

I really was a social learner, IMHO, we all are. We learn by talking, chatting, arguing and discussing things with others. Despite my social learning, I was limiting my society by not engaging as much as I could have via the interwebs. I admit that I was fearful. I was specifically fearful of how the powers that be would react to my web presence, when, not if, it came to their attention. I realize now, that that fear held me back. It is very sad to me in a way that I had to leave the classroom to learn how much better a teacher I could have been.

Now, I realize, maybe there are more ways I can help, more things I can do. If learning is social, maybe teaching can be too. Why would I limit my student's learning to just what I can teach them. I could now bring other teachers into my classroom, experts in may fields, students, and learners, and politicians and who knows what else if I just open myself to the vast possibilities of what social teaching could do.

No comments:

Welcome to Jorgie Learning

I really am learning and this blog is maintained both as a record of some of what I am doing as well as a place for me to train and teach others about creating an online presence. So please don't mind the dust. We aren't remodeling we are learning!

Visit some of my other blogs or the other blogs I find mildly entertaining for a more polished feel.

ShareThis