Monday, April 13, 2009

Smarts!

This month Edutopia has had an emphasis on Multiple intelligences from Howard Gardner. I like his work and have always been interested in learning styles and creating curriculum that allows students to explore the content along with different ways of learning the content.

One of the smarts that I haven't seen is technosmart. It exists, I am proof, so are all the unofficial tech support teachers that are always there to answer the questions about computers, vcrs, video, how to hook up the sound system, or why isn't the projector working. Teaching tech classes for 4 years also taught me that this was the case with learners. Some students just got it. All students could learn and most did learn technology skills in my class, like file management, multimedia creation, CAD, but some of them truly shined. I could throw any new program at them and they would master it within the week we worked on it.

In the video below, there is one statement too that speaks to what I have said before regarding extended adolescence. With 1:36 remaining one girl refers to the fact that they get to act like adults and take responsibility. This kind of relevance for students is what make learning real. they are learning to be not preparing to be. I would love it if my children could be in a class and school like this.








2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your're right, that is such a good idea. As a self-described techno geek, and unofficial tech support I agree. There is a segment of our population that this stuff just "makes sense" too!

mbjorgensen said...

Thanks for the comment, I guess it is a good reminder to me too that for others this stuff just doesn't make sense, much like balancing my checkbook or interpretive dance just doesn't make sense to me.

Welcome to Jorgie Learning

I really am learning and this blog is maintained both as a record of some of what I am doing as well as a place for me to train and teach others about creating an online presence. So please don't mind the dust. We aren't remodeling we are learning!

Visit some of my other blogs or the other blogs I find mildly entertaining for a more polished feel.

ShareThis