Friday, September 6, 2013

Geology songs



@lauhun forwarded the first video in this playlist to me so I took a look around the interwebs and found the above playlist full of geology songs and it got me thinking about two things?

First, how could we use playlists as teachers.  I have suggested creating playlists on YouTube before in a course I teach and I still think it can be great.  There are lots of sites out there that let you create and share playlists: UEN's eMedia, YouTube, TeacherTube, SchoolTube.  But it could also be simply creating a list.  I often thought when teaching that I couldn't show all the amazing movies, documentaries and videos. So I developed the idea of Enrichments.  I would ask students to watch and summarize videos (or books, or other materials). These assignments were extra and allowed students to engage with materials I couldn't make time for in class.

Second, I loved the parody element in several of these videos and although it wasn't something I did, it is a terrific strategy for getting students to engage with the content.  Having students produce these kinds of videos with accurate science or history or whichever topic necessary.

What are your ideas for using video or writing parodies?

No comments:

Welcome to Jorgie Learning

I really am learning and this blog is maintained both as a record of some of what I am doing as well as a place for me to train and teach others about creating an online presence. So please don't mind the dust. We aren't remodeling we are learning!

Visit some of my other blogs or the other blogs I find mildly entertaining for a more polished feel.

ShareThis