Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Response: What Do You Believe to Be the Most Effective Methods for Delivering Professional Development to Teachers?

What Do You Believe to Be the Most Effective Methods for Delivering Professional Development to Teachers?

My response to this post:

Great and insightful post. I work for the Utah Education Network and we deliver Professional Development all over the state in a variety of ways. We offer face to face workshops and 2 day courses. We also offer 6 week online courses. Finally, we do a weekly webcast available at http;//www.uen.org/facultylounge

The one area I would like to see more done on is the webinars/webcasts where educators can chat with others. People do some of this over lunch but usually that dissolves into a gripe session. Something teachers need, but a well facilitated workshop or webinar can allow the kind of deeply reflective practice that we as educators can truly benefit from.

The webinar/chat sessions can catalyze the kind of focus that sometimes lacks in a general Professional Development put on by a specific school or district. Maybe what I really need is focused tips and tricks on PowerPoint, or alternative assessment, or rubrics or whatever. When a workshop or professional development session has to appeal to the masses it often gets diluted because of the varying levels, whereas when I chat with my other Science Teacher friends I can focus on the peculiarities of teaching science. To me a mix of

No comments:

Welcome to Jorgie Learning

I really am learning and this blog is maintained both as a record of some of what I am doing as well as a place for me to train and teach others about creating an online presence. So please don't mind the dust. We aren't remodeling we are learning!

Visit some of my other blogs or the other blogs I find mildly entertaining for a more polished feel.

ShareThis